Profile image
Story Views

Last Hour:
Last 24 Hours:

“Super Sponge” Removes Mercury From Water in Seconds

Thursday, April 6, 2017 10:43
% of readers think this story is Fact. Add your two cents.

(Before It's News)

Natural By Brianna Acuesta It takes just a few minutes to absorb the mercury from an entire lake. Scientists from the University of Minnesota College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Sciences just

invented a device that many are calling a “super sponge” that can absorb mercury from polluted water in a matter of seconds. With the many water crises occurring around the world, it’s more important than ever to develop tools like this sponge to help combat a growing problem.

Though the problem seemingly plaguing U.S. citizens right now is lead being found in tap water, mercury in water is a viable problem as well. Just in the state where this sponge was created, Minnesota, two-thirds of the bodies of water on the Impaired Waters List were found to be primarily impaired by mercury contamination. This is significant and may now be a problem of the past if the sponge proves effective for large bodies of water.

Several sources have cited this as an example:

“Think of it this way: if Como Lake in St. Paul was contaminated with mercury at the EPA limit, the sponge needed to remove all of the mercury would be the size of a basketball.”

It’s absolutely incredible that such a small tool could accomplish this in so little time. According to the study, it would take just a few seconds for the sponge to soak up the mercury in the tap water in someone’s home, or as little as 5 minutes to remove mercury from industrial wastewater.

With intense mercury absorption properties, the toxic chemical is attracted to the sponge, which then converts it into a non-toxic complex so that the sponge can be easily disposed of in a landfill. The sponge is also antibacterial and antimicrobial.

Mercury in drinking water isn’t the only thing to be concerned about; mercury is largely found in fish that are taken from lakes contaminated with mercury, which, if eaten, can harm the organs in people of all ages. The people that are most at-risk are pregnant women, because their newborns can be affected by the mercury as well. In Minnesota’s North Shore, 10% of newborns recently tested were found to have mercury concentrations in their system that were above the EPA limit. This means that, despite warnings and prevention techniques, people still find themselves constantly exposed to the substance.


“Blazing a path to natural health and wellness. Get natural health news, remedies and tips at”


Report abuse


Your Comments
Question   Razz  Sad   Evil  Exclaim  Smile  Redface  Biggrin  Surprised  Eek   Confused   Cool  LOL   Mad   Twisted  Rolleyes   Wink  Idea  Arrow  Neutral  Cry   Mr. Green

Top Stories
Recent Stories



Email this story
Email this story

If you really want to ban this commenter, please write down the reason:

If you really want to disable all recommended stories, click on OK button. After that, you will be redirect to your options page.